Sunday, December 20, 2009

Conquering Demons: Goan Crab Masala


Finally a demon conquered. There are certain things in life that we fear or avoid for no apparent reason. But overcoming it gives a new joy of victory. Cooking crabs was one such demon. I always thought it was too complicated to cook crabs so never even thought of trying it. Until my hubby, whose normally a meat eater, wished to have homemade crabs. So off we went to the Chinese Supermarket. Having no prior experience of shopping for crabs, we just picked the ones which looked similar to Indian crabs.

At my parents home, live fresh crabs were always delivered to our door. It was like the excitement of having a new pet, even though that may just last for a few minutes till they are cooked and find their way to our bellies. The live crabs would be kept in a tub till my dad was ready to clean them. There were times when a crab or two managed an escape till the living room or worse till the bedroom until they were discovered. I would be jumping and calling out to my father as i traced their paths around the house. My brother would enjoy the drama safely sitting on top of the dining table. I watched in amazement with the dexterity with which my father would place his big toe on the crab's back, hold both their claws in each hands and pull them back to break them. After this they were reliably harmless. Then he would chop them into pieces for my mother to cook. It was fun to watch then but now i could never do it myself. Thankfully the cleaners at the fish store spared me the guilt. They chopped and cleaned and packed the crabs for me.

The recipe is from my mom and is in true Goan style.

Ingredients:
6 crabs, cleaned and chopped into 2
1 onion chopped
1 potato chopped into big pieces
Salt
4-5 kokum pieces

For masala
2 tsp oil
4 cloves
4 peppercorns
1 inch piece cinnamon
4-5 garlic cloves
1 onion, sliced
1 cup grated coconut
1/2 tsp turmeric pdr
1 heaped tsp bedekar's sunday masala or any garam masala ( if using other garam masala, add 1/2 tsp of chili pdr, bedekar masala has chilli's included)

To begin, wash the crab pieces well.
In a big pot, put crabs, chopped onions and potatoes. Add little salt and water to cover and cook till crabs are done. Crabs would generally turn pinkish orange once done and of course the amazing aroma .
In another pan, put 1 tsp of oil. Add cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon and garlic and roast. Once they give aroma and garlic has changed colour, remove from pan and keep aside.
Then in another tsp of oil saute the sliced onions till brown. Remove
Roast the coconut till light brown.
Combine all these with turmeric pdr and garam masala and grind into thick paste.
Once the crabs are cooked, add the ground masala. Once it comes to a boil, add the kokum pieces Check for salt and spices.
Serve with white rice and salad.

I savoured the crabs with double the pleasure. Nostalgia and victory.

No comments: